Saturday, October 30, 2010

A Spooky Halloween Post - not for the Faint of Heart


I made but one stop this morning, Readers. The St. Clair County fair grounds hosted "The World's Largest Garage Sale" today.

While this sale was indeed a large congregation of junque sellers, I have to doubt it was the World's Largest. And I am certain many of these vendors have a store someplace, which makes it more like a flea market than a garage sale. One thing we love about a pure yard/garage sale is the inexperience of the proprietors. They are not haggle-savvy and will joyfully let us waltz off with armloads of merchandise for mere pennies.

Not today, my friends.

Many of these sellers were obviously hardened by years and years of storefront overhead and demanded top dollar for their dusty treasures. But like any dedicated yardsaler worth her salt, I was able to find a few things to buy.

But today you will not get a list of what I bought. This being the Hallo-weekend, I will treat you to the scariest of the WLGS's offerings. Welcome to the spooky side of yardsaling! Bwahahaha!

Dolls are generally creepy. This one, a late model from a country where the children obviously have white pupils, black irises, and no whites of the eyes, disturbed me enough to earn a place on the YSA Blog's Halloween post.

Another scary item was this Santa Claus mask. If I took my kids to a party where the Santa poser was sporting this mask, I'm sure they would run out screaming and beg to skip Christmas entirely.

Next up, a large, friendly ladybug that is altogether too large and too friendly.

The artist who designed this doll face seems to have avoided doll-face-freakiness, but someone has stolen her torso... a doll body snatcher, perhaps?

What you can't see is that this is actually a stack of doll face skins... not even a proper head. Just a pile of facial skins nested one atop another. You can see it is displayed next to an old postcard of Jesus and his disciples. What is God telling us in this vignette? I sense a message that is sailing right over my head.
That Santa mask above gave Christmas a spooky overtone. But Easter is not without its weird factor. A giant rabbit? Now that's scary. Here is a replica of the Easter Bunny that made me feel a little skin-crawly:


Don't miss this one... it is maybe more goofy than spooky... it's the Googly Eyed Chef! One can imagine the damage he would inflict while chopping veggies with those crazy eyes looking this way and that.



Prepare yourself for the next photo, please. It is a motorcycle helmet. Made out of a scary dead animal. I am not even sure what animal this used to be... is it a messed up fox? A weasel of some sort? An elephant/rabbit/bear combo? Would this actually protect the biker if he fell? Or was it designed for use after the deadly crash -- to scare away the devil when he comes to take the biker down to hell?

Finally, Fair Readers, if you are brave enough to have stuck with me after that last one, I offer you the scariest thing of all... actually American History. Sometimes the truth is scarier than fiction...

Here is a primitive sign which at first appeared attractive and interesting...but see the orange price tag?

Here is a close up of the price tag...




Seriously.


But as I hate to leave you with a downer like the USA's record of racism, I offer this final, happy visual: it is Donny's recently purchased unicorn puppet, its head out the sunroof, singing loudly along with John Denver on the radio.
Life is good, Readers. Life is good.

Happy Halloween, Faithful Followers.

Nancy



1 comment:

  1. Nancy, a most excellent post! I saw the melon sign while purposefully striding towards the exit towing my 3 whining, complaining, boneless children. I did not stop long enough to read the price tag. Hmmm.

    ReplyDelete