Saturday, September 4, 2010

moving heavy furniture while giggling

This is Shawn or Sean or Sian. He so graciously agreed to pose with this very interesting battle weapon. I am still unsure about this spiky club-like instrument of pain, but Shawn or Sean or Sian assured me it wasn't real. I was inclined to believe him, because, hey, he had the beat-down stick and I had my camera. Not much good if it comes to hand-to-hand, if you know what I mean. He is very nice, and I am not just writing that because I am scared.





Sara and I saled today. We went to this very sweet little sale run by two elderly ladies. I don't know if it was sweet elderly lady 1 or sweet elderly lady 2 who crocheted this darling little ducky soap holder, but I mean, seriously. As Sara so accurately put it, "You can really see the love put into this." I have blogged about this before, but if you have time to put warm and fuzzy covers over items that don't need covers, well, that is just ducky for you. (Ha!)



Here is Sara, on the third attempt to get this photo. I have, in addition to terrible navigational skills, terrible photography skills. Evidentally I can not hold the camera still or press the "take picture now button" with any finesse. Sara was so patient with my horribly lacking skills.

We found these excellent metal tins filled with Yu-Gi-Oh cards for our boys. I am saving them for mine for Christmas, so Dominic is sworn to secrecy that he received his today.




The above photos were all taken today. The below photos were taken earlier this week. Here's the story (because you just know there is a story): Our friends the Isoms remodel homes. The buy them, renovate them, and sell them. They bought this wonderful home on our street and invited Nancy and I to go through and take anything we would like. Our mutual friend Mark restores furniture. Nancy asked Mark if he would restore this beautiful old cabinet for the school auction in March. He said yes, so Nancy and I once again pulled out the fancy moving moves and schlepped down the boulevard with heavy objects.




Here is Nancy with her furniture dolly. Really, why have we not thought of dollies before?





Here is another cabinet that we attempted to move to my house. Apparently it was not very sturdy.







Here is that same cabinet, 3 minutes before.




Here is Nancy attempting to control the giggling while I was wrestling with the miraculously collapsing cabinet.







Here is the top part of the cabinet. Really, this is the good one.






So Nancy and I were thinking of starting a moving company, because a)we are professionally incompetent, b) we have no insurance or liability of any type, c) we would keep whatever interesting junk we were asked to move, and d) we tend to stop traffic along our street. Also we would only be willing to move things up and down the boulevard using wagons or dollies, usually while pushing a baby in a baby stroller. What do you think? Is this a great business concept or what?

In any case, the dilapidated cabinet is safely ensconsed in Mark's cavernous garage, awaiting his magical woodoworking skills, and if you are a SHS parent reading this, remember: Bid high on this glorious object. Only you know the true story of strife, tribulation, mountains of dust and unhealthy airborn-particles inhaled into previously-healthy lungs that went into the salvaging and resoration of this piece. And laughing. Lots and lots of laughing.

Next week, readers, is the Webster Groves neighborhood sale. I.Can.Not.Wait. Seriously. It is bound to be delightful. And then, then, THEN, the mother of all yard sales, the Olympics of the true yard salers......the Tri-city sale. Yes. You will recall a year ago we blogged about this special event. Caffeine was soaring through my veins like never before, the van o'dreams was put through the trenches and came out victorious, and we scored some serious junk. October 2nd, folks. Be ready.


















2 comments:

  1. OMG! I can't wait! Two weekends of yardsale excellence in a row! We need to revisit those exercises we invented last year!

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL I would recommend using a fully licensed, bonded and insured moving company like
    Austin Moving Forward

    ReplyDelete